You are right David/Carol. It seems outer=T does not work for "Sub title".
I'm not sure what Carol is looking for, but in case you need separate sub
titles for each graph, then you may want to use more than one title
statement. Like:

par(oma=c(2,2,2,2))
par(mfrow = c(1,2))
plot(c(1,2,3), c(9,8,7))
title(sub ="sub title 1", cex.sub = 0.75)
plot(c(1,2,3), c(9,8,7))
title(sub ="sub title 2", cex.sub = 0.75)
title(main = "Main title", cex.main=1.5, outer = TRUE)

Not sure about how to do it for a single "sub title" for whole graph.
Anyone?
~Gary

On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 12:07 PM, David Winsemius <dwinsem...@comcast.net>wrote:

> On Nov 21, 2009, at 11:39 AM, Gary wrote:
>
>  Hi Carol,
>>
>> Try this
>>
>>  par(oma=c(2,2,2,2))
>>> par(mfrow = c(1,2))