On Nov 21, 2009, at 12:57 PM, Gabor Grothendieck wrote:

Try the line= argument on title()

opar <- par(oma = 4 * c(1, 1, 1, 1), no.readonly = TRUE)
par(mfrow = 1:2)
plot(1:3, 9:7)
plot(1:3, 7:9)
for(i in 1:3) title(main = i, line = i, outer = TRUE)
par(opar)

I was not sure what Carol was hoping for. I assumed she was hoping for the full page analog of what subtitle would do with an individual plot, i.e. that the subtitle would be below the plots and centered. If she were hoping for just another line below the main title, then your strategy or using "\n" within the string would be effective.

I think that she may need to use mtext() in order to get a "true" sub- title of the first sort.

--
David.