On Feb 9, 2010, at 6:46 PM, Martin Batholdy wrote:

hi,

I have a vector full of strings like;

xy_100_ab       xy_101_ab       xy_102_ab       xy_103_ab

I want to seperate each string in three pieces and the separator should be the "_"

at the end I want a data.frame like:

column1 column2 column3
xy              100                     ab
xy              101                     ab
xy              102                     ab
xy              103                     ab

There are probably easier ways but this works:

> as.data.frame( t(sapply(1:4, function(x) strsplit(vec, "_")[[x]])) )
  V1  V2 V3
1 xy 100 ab
2 xy 101 ab
3 xy 102 ab
4 xy 103 ab

I needed to transpose the matrix that resulted from the "sideways presentation" of the data.

I tried strsplit but I couldn't figure out how to convert the list I get into a data.frame.

I just need a function like read.table. But it seems that read.table only can handle files, not vectors...

David Winsemius, MD
Heritage Laboratories
West Hartford, CT