On Apr 15, 2010, at 12:34 PM, David Hardie wrote:

Thanks David, but I have searched my hard drive using the search utility in Windows (not just c:\temp - the whole drive) for the file in question and it is not there. I have also used: data() to see the names of all dataframes in the datasets package as well as: data(package=.packages(all.available=TRUE)) to see all available data sets
Both methods provide an extensive list, but not "daphnia.txt"

-Dave

A google search suggested that it was at one time available here, and testing shows that it still is:

http://www.bio.ic.ac.uk/research/mjcraw/therbook/data/Daphnia.txt

Looking inside the first few pages of the book, it appears this should have been accessible from the book's associated website. I bought the book several months ago, but it has remained mostly unused because I found it quite limited in its depth of presentation of topics in which I had an interest.

--
David

> CC: r-help@r-project.org
> From: dwinsem...@comcast.net
> To: dreamwat...@hotmail.com
> Subject: Re: [R] can't find "daphnia.txt" and others while working through Crawley's R-Book
> Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 12:28:54 -0400
>

> On Apr 15, 2010, at 11:42 AM, David Hardie wrote:
>

> > I have a feeling that this is an embarassingly simple fix, but I've > > been at it for most of the morning and can't get things figured out.
> >
> > I'm trying to work through some examples in Crawley's "The R Book".
> > I have installed packages and libraries as described in the book,
> > but when I try, for example:
> >
> > data<-read.table("c:\\temp\\daphnia.txt", header=T)
> >

> > I get:
> >
> > Error in file(file, "rt") : cannot open the connection
> > In addition: Warning message:
> > In file(file, "rt") :
> > cannot open file 'c:\temp\daphnia.txt': No such file or directory
> >

> > There is nothing in my c:\temp folder, so I'm not suprised that it
> > doesn't work, but I can't for the life of me figure out which
> > package or library I will need to gain access to this and other data
> > files used in this book.
>
> This would appear to be more a problem with you lack of understanding > regarding the file management utilities of Windows. In Linux or a Mac
> you could use the locate function to track down where the file ended
> up, but surely whatever Windows version you have allows such searching.
>
> --
> David.
> >

> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > -Dave
> >

> David Winsemius, MD
> West Hartford, CT

Live connected. Get Hotmail & Messenger for mobile.

David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT