On 8/7/20 8:35 PM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
On 07/08/2020 6:53 p.m., Helmut Schütz wrote:
Hi Duncan,

Duncan Murdoch wrote on 2020-08-07 21:55:
On 07/08/2020 3:22 p.m., Helmut Schütz wrote:
I see. However, the HTML-source states
This manual is for R, version 4.1.0 Under development (2020-08-06).

I was relying on the PDF-version (4.0.2 of 2020-06-22) which does *not* contain this sentence. Hence, I fell into the trap. Should be stated in
the PDF as well, IMHO.

Oh, c'mon.  It will be a new requirement in R 4.1.0  It's not a
requirement in 4.0.2, and you didn't get a NOTE about it there, you
only got the note in one of the r-devel platforms.

Yep, but why are the others not configured in the same way (with setenv
_R_CHECK_SUGGESTS_ONLY_ false)? Doesn't sound consistent to me.

What has this got to do with your suggestion that changes that will be released in R 4.1.0 next year should be documented in R 4.0.2?

Duncan Murdoch
  I agree that package developers should always be reading the very most recent version of the docs. But I also agree that it gets confusing when the settings for different r-devel platforms on CRAN are different/inconsistent in ways that don't seem required by intrinsic between-platform differences ...

The general way things work in R is that changes get announced well in
advance of release *by putting them in R-devel*.  That's why you're
asked to check your package against R-devel before submitting:  so
that it meets upcoming announced changes to requirements as well as
ones that are in the current release.

Of course, we checked the package on winbuilder... Are you suggesting to
set up a multi-boot system for all those OSs? Even if one -- not us --
would aim at that: Where to get Solaris v10? Buy a Mac to run checks on
maxOS?

At least I understand now the differences between
r-devel-linux-x86_64-debian-gcc and r-devel-linux-x86_64-debian-gcc
(given in the last line there:
https://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/bdr/Rconfig/r-devel-linux-x86_64-fedora-gcc).

Helmut