Dear colleagues,

after submitting a release of my package RcppCWB (no problems with test
servers), CRAN check results reported ERRORS on the macOS check systems:
https://cran.r-project.org/web/checks/check_results_RcppCWB.html

The core is that when test loading the package, you get the error: Symbol not
found: _objc_msgSend$UTF8String

Picking up a solution discussed here (disable objc_msgSend stubs in clang), I
modified the configure script of my package to pass the flag
“-fno-objc-msgsend-selector-stubs“ to the linker, which I thought would solve
the problem.

However: The CRAN Debian system for incoming R packages uses clang 15, which
does not accept this flag any more, resulting in an error.

Certainly, I could refine my configure script to address a very specific
scenario on CRAN macOS systems, i.e. making usage of the flag conditional on a
specific clang version. But I am not sure whether this is the way to go. It
would feel like a hack I would like to avoid.

Has anybody encountered this error? Is there a best practice or a recomended
solution? I would be very glad to get your advice!

Kind regards

Andreas

--

Prof. Dr. Andreas Blaette