R includes the tools::Rd2HTML function to convert Rd source files to HTML for display. RStudio offers previews of Rd pages; presumably they use those functions. I imagine ESS does the same.

If you want to do it yourself, start with ?tools::Rd2HTML.

There have been changes to the specs over time, but I'd guess current R could render old Rd pages reasonably well, back to when Prof Ripley and I wrote Rd2HTML in R 2.9.0. Before that, it was done by a Perl script, and the Rd syntax had more differences; I think the parser would likely die on those very old files.

Duncan Murdoch