From: R-sig-ecology <r-sig-ecology-boun...@r-project.org> On Behalf Of
Stratford, Jeff
Sent: Wednesday, October 26, 2022 5:25 PM
To: r-sig-ecology@r-project.org
Subject: [R-sig-eco] modeling variation along a gradient

Hi all,

I have several data sets that relate some ecological phenomenon to a gradient
(e.g., avian species richness and urbanization, weevil prevalence in acorns and
latitude - see https://www.mdpi.com/1424-2818/13/7/303). Most of these data
sets have more variation on one end than the other. I have considered quantile
regression but this seems inadequate. I would like to model variation per se
along a gradient.

Is there an R function that models sd or variance along a gradient. I was
thinking that it would require a moving window of some sorts.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff
Jeffrey A. Stratford, PhD.
Department of Biology and Earth System Sciences
84 W South Street
Wilkes University, PA 18766 USA
https://sites.google.com/a/wilkes.edu/stratford/