Dear all,

registration is now open for the 2nd edition of the course "INTRODUCTION TO
ANALYTICAL PALEOBIOLOGY: FOSSIL RECORD BIASES, DIVERSITY, & BIOGEOGRAPHY".

Dates: February 13-17

Course website:[
https://www.physalia-courses.org/courses-workshops/paleobiology-in-r/ ](
https://www.physalia-courses.org/courses-workshops/paleobiology-in-r/ )

This course will provide a complete guide to basic analytical techniques for
examining macroevolutionary and biodiversity patterns using online databases
(primarily The Paleobiology Database), from instruction on data collection,
handling, and curation, to plotting and publishing results. First, we will
cover the theory behind the structure of the fossil record and how
paleodiversity information is generated and inherently biased by geological and
anthropogenic processes. We will discuss how to outline these processes,
recognise the biases, incorporate these information in our datasets, convert
the data into analysable formats, and visualise them. Then, we will expand on
this foundation by talking about modelling techniques used in analytical
paleobiology, going through the different options for analytical approaches and
linking them with hypothesis testing.

Best regards,
Carlo

Carlo Pecoraro, Ph.D