FWIW, I just built R-testthat-3.0.3 in rawhide.

As far as the R-* packages in the repos, they are either an R package that
someone wanted in Fedora at some point (10%), a package that needed some
love to build in Fedora, either because it is old or Fedora is too new
(5%), BioConductor bits (10%), or dependencies (75%). I am kidding a bit on
that last number, but dependency creep in R is a real thing.

Since Fedora's R-testthat has a patch for the bundled catch, there is value
in having it in Fedora rather than just having people try (and fail) to
build from CRAN. The good news is that if testthat upstream pulls a newer
copy of catch into it, it should pickup the fix, and this issue will
hopefully go away over time.

~spot