Hello Tom, thank you for the comments and sure let's discuss this @ SIG :)

On 21/07/2022 16:39, Tom Callaway wrote:
Hi Ali, welcome to the SIG!

I'm not sure that adding new R module packages makes sense in EPEL. The exponential rate of new dependencies just to be able to keep the existing packages current in Fedora makes it incredibly painful for us to do the R major version upgrades there (whereas, for EPEL, it's much much simpler).

Part of why I haven't had time to do the next major R update for Fedora is this, it takes so much time to rebuild the entire R package tree there (and as Fedora work is no longer the primary part of my day job, large multi day efforts like this have not been easy to accomplish).

Combine that with the average R user being content to simply install via CRAN, and I'm not sure that the pros outweigh the cons in adding modules as packages to EPEL.

I think this is something we should discuss as a SIG though. :)