The log of you running configure on your instance allows me to compare it
to the log of when we build it as a package (you don't need to provide that
one).

Honestly, I have no idea right now _why_ pre-built R would fail to move
files to a cifs share when a non-root user can do it. I'm hoping maybe
something will jump out as to how it configures on your setup. We aren't
modifying R's source code at all, nor are we configuring it in a way that
would affect this as far as I know.

Does this also happen with the older R binary RPMs? If you go back to 4.2.3
or 4.2.2, does it happen?

~spot