On 29/02/2012 00:02, R. Michael Weylandt <michael.weyla...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Feb 28, 2012, at 4:41 PM, bugreport19621...@fastmail.fm wrote:

The most recent email on this appears to be
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mac/2012-January/008967.html

which says, "the most recent GUI is back to the old behavior."

Does this refer to some more recent GUI than the following?

Yes (note that message is after the build date you give) - you could
build the new GUI yourself tonight, but R 2.14.2 is going out to CRAN
tomorrow so I'd just wait for that.

The GUI is a separate build (and install): the current version is almost always available from http://r.research.att.com/ . It has a build number (currently 6118) seen when starting R.app: it is good to report that as well as sessionInfo().

Whereas the source release of CRAN is due today, binary builds will take a little longer (possibly several days, as happened for 2.14.1).

Michael

sessionInfo()
R version 2.14.1 (2011-12-22)
Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin9.8.0/x86_64 (64-bit)

locale:
[1] en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/C/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8

attached base packages:

[1] tools_2.14.1

By "the old behavior" does Simon Urbanek mean mean what R used to to from time
immemorial, i.e., that hitting ESC would get me out of the current command line, whether
I have hit ENTER or not?

To reproduce the problem:

Start at R prompt on a Mac

type: rnorm(100000000000000000) and do not hit enter.

Hit ESC.

I do not get the R prompt. I do not get out of the current command.

Click with the mouse on the STOP button.

I do not get the R prompt. I do not get out of the current command.

How can I get R to behave as it used to behave, with respect to ESC and the
STOP key?

Jacob Wegelin

Brian D. Ripley,                  rip...@stats.ox.ac.uk