Just a small followup; it's not necessary to use the GUI. I regularly
install packages with dependencies in R running in an xterm shell.
(Using X windows so that I can run R on remote linux machines, displaying
graphics back to my local desktop)

Very few, if any, CRAN packages need to be installed from source on a Mac.

-Don

--
Don MacQueen

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory