John,

On Sep 19, 2013, at 10:29 AM, John Fox wrote:

> Dear Simon,
>
> Thank you very much for these clarifications (and also for responding to
> David and Sarah's posts in this thread). I think that I understand what's
> going on now, and will add a note to the Rcmdr installation instructions to
> run Software Update prior to installing R, the Rcmdr, and (if necessary)
> XQuartz.
>
> (Sarah: You could try asking your student(s) to run Software Update, and
> then reinstall R and the Rcmdr package. If you do this, can you report to
> the list whether it works?)
>
> I do have one further question: I understand now that R will use an older
> X-11 in preference to XQuartz if XQuartz doesn't install a symbolic link to
> /usr/X11. Is there a reason for this? That is, why not have R use XQuartz in
> preference to another X-11 if XQuartz is installed -- or to pick the newest
> X-server, if it's possible to ascertain that?

It's not. This is not about preferences - R has no choice, it has to links
against something and we picked something that's more likely to exist. You
cannot pick and choose at run time since the libraries (with paths) are linked
in. Note that this is *not* about the X11 that the user will be running - this
is just for internal libraries use by R - these are two entirely separate
things (server vs client). Also XQuartz was really a development project, so it
didn't seem like a good idea to require it - in particular since we would ask
people to install parallel X11 implementation to an existing one - and have to
answer the "why?". In the meantime Apple has removed system X11 completely from
recent OS X so it may be worth re-visiting that option and just require
XQuartz. However, there is no guarantee that they will support the targets we
support (although so far they do). Finally, XQuartz will act as system X11 but
not vice-versa, so it's much safer to use the system X11 loca!
 tion as it supports more setups.

FWIW: I think this whole discussion is getting off the original topic: if you
don't keep your system up to date, nothing is guaranteed to work - it has
nothing to do with X11, it affects all system libraries and we have seen that
before.

Cheers,
Simon