For what it's worth, Homebrew and macports both have scripts for
installing GTK+ from sources, so presumedly those could be cribbed
into a standalone shell script for a build if desired:

https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/blob/master/Formula/gtk+.rb
https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/blob/master/gnome/gtk2/Portfile

Would that be worth exploring? I'd be willing to try and put something
together if so.

Also -- is the intention to stick with the latest patch release of the
GTK+ 2.x series, or try to upgrade to GTK+ 3.x? (I suspect that
GTK+-using packages would likely need to adapt to changes in GTK+ 3.x)

Kevin