On 05/09/2021 6:16 a.m., Adrian Dușa wrote:
Dear All,

My .libPaths for the user defined directory shows:
"/Users/dusadrian/Library/R/x86_64/4.1/library"

and indeed, the command install.packages() does install the packages in
this location.

However, when installing from the RGUI menu, using Packages & Data /
Package installer,
the installation directory is:
"/Users/dusadrian/Library/R/4.1/library"

Neither of those is the default library location for a standard install of R on a Mac. The first one looks like it's the default value of R_LIBS_USER. Are you specifying the environment variable R_LIBS? By default, I think

  Sys.getenv("R_LIBS")

will give a blank.

Regarding the install from R.app (which I assume is what you mean by RGUI), there is a selection of 4 locations:

 - At System Level (in R framework)
 - At User Level
 - In Other Location
 - As defined by .libPaths()

Which of those are you choosing?

Duncan Murdoch

I don't remember at which exact version this started to happen (it was also
present in 4.1.0), and could not find any particular setting that I should
tweak to make these equal.

This is the R.version result:
                _
platform       x86_64-apple-darwin17.0
arch           x86_64
os             darwin17.0
system         x86_64, darwin17.0
status
major          4
minor          1.1
year           2021
month          08
day            10
svn rev        80725
language       R
version.string R version 4.1.1 (2021-08-10)
nickname       Kick Things

running under MacOS BigSur version 11.5.2

Thanks for any hint,
Adrian

--
Adrian Dusa