> On 7/07/2023, at 10:15 AM, Spencer Graves <spencer.gra...@prodsyse.com> wrote:
>
> Hi, Simon:
>

>         Thanks for this.  I have more questions:
>

> On 7/6/23 4:52 PM, Simon Urbanek wrote:
>> In the shell:
>> PATH=/opt/gfortran/bin:$PATH R CMD INSTALL ...
>

>         Please excuse my ignorance, but I don't understand this.  I
> previously tried "PATH=/bin:/sbin:/user/bin:/user/sbin:/system/Library/
> export PATH", recommended on a page associated with support.apple.com, as
> mentioned below.  That did not seem to work for me.

That one sets the specified fixed path and then exports it. Setting a fixed
PATH by hand is typically a bad idea since it removes all existing entries -
and the one you listed didn't even have gfortran on it. Exporting is another
alternative if you want to set the PATH for all subsequent commands.

The line I sent just prepends the /opt/gfortran/bin to the PATH for the one R
CMD command, but doesn't affect anything else. I would recommend reading a
basic tutorial on unix shell if you really want to know more (actually a good
idea if you ever want to use the Terminal and not kill your machine).

>         How is this different?  What did I do wrong before that this would
> fix?  [Or feel free to ignore this question:  My immediate problem seems to
> be fixed, and I'm not eager to do more experimentation with this now ;-]
>
>> in R if using install.packages()
>> Sys.setenv(PATH=paste0("/opt/gfortran/bin:", Sys.getenv("PATH")))
>

>         If I set this in RStudio, will it affect what I do in "Terminal" on
> my Mac and vice versa?

No, it is only valid for the current R session (and I don't know about RStudio
- it's not R so sometimes R rules don't apply), that's why I said it's for the
case where you run install.packages() in the R session.

Note that another alternative is to simply symlink gfortran to your
/usr/local/bin since that is on the PATH on macOS by default, i.e., you only
need to run this in the Terminal once (requires admin access):

sudo ln -sfn /opt/gfortran/bin/gfortran /usr/local/bin/gfortran

Cheers,
Simon