List of all publications with PDF files:
http://biology.ucr.edu/people/faculty/Garland/GarlandPublications.html

Garland, T., Jr., and M. R. Rose, eds. 2009. Experimental
evolution: concepts, methods, and applications of selection
experiments. University of California Press, Berkeley,
California.
http://www.ucpress.edu/books/pages/10604.php

Associate Director
Network for Experimental Research on Evolution
http://nere.bio.uci.edu/
(A University of California Multicampus Research Project)

---- Original message ----

  Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 11:58:31 -0400
  From: "Liam J. Revell" <lrev...@nescent.org>
  Subject: Re: [R-sig-phylo] Phylogenetic ANOVA
  To: Luke Harmon <lu...@uidaho.edu>
  <r-sig-phylo@r-project.org>

  >Just to clarify the point - the null distribution for the
  test-statistic
  >(F) in this method is generated by Brownian motion
  simulation on the
  >phylogeny. The P-value of the ANOVA is thus obtained by
  comparing the
  >observed test-statistic to simulated test-statistics (for
  an arbitrarily
  >large number of simulations). The reference to this is:
  >
  >Garland, T. Jr., A. W. Dickerman, C. M. Janis, & J. A.
  Jones. 1993.
  >Phylogenetic analysis of covariance by computer
  simulation. Syst. Biol.
  >42: 265-292. (http://www.jstor.org/stable/2992464)
  >
  >Thus, if you have a test-statistic (F) more extreme then
  that obtained
  >for every last one of your simulated datasets, then the
  P-value will be
  >entirely determined by the number of simulations that are
  used (as Luke
  >says). This seems to be case for your data (not
  surprising given the
  >very large values for F that were obtained).
  >
  >- Liam
  >
  >Liam J. Revell
  >NESCent, Duke University
  >web: http://anolis.oeb.harvard.edu/~liam/
  >NEW email: lrev...@nescent.org
  >

  >Luke Harmon wrote:
  >> Yes that's a direct result of the number of simulations
  - if all of the simulated F statistics are smaller than
  the test statistics, then you will get:

  >> p = 1/(n+1) where n is the number of simulated data
  sets.

  wrote:

  >>> Hello,
  >>>
  >>> Some colleagues and I are running some phylogenetic
  ANOVAS using the geiger package. In some of the analyses
  we get the same phylogentic p-value (very small p-value)
  even though the F-statistic differs between the two
  analyses, albeit it being relatively high in both
  instances. We were wondering why this arises, to get
  better grip on how the analysis works. We thought it may
  have to do with the randomizations to calculate the
  phylogenetic p-value. Or that the F-statistics are quite
  high...
  >>> Below are two examples :

  m11<-phy.anova(tree1,tmax,biozone,data.names=X,nsim=1000)
  >>> Standard ANOVA:
  >>> Analysis of Variance Table
  >>>
  >>> Response: td$data
  >>> Df Sum Sq Mean Sq F value Pr(>F)
  >>> group 1 967.96 967.96 155.88 3.057e-12 ***
  >>> Residuals 25 155.24 6.21
  >>> ---
  >>> Signif. codes: 0 '***' 0.001 '**' 0.01 '*' 0.05 '.'
  0.1 ' ' 1

  >>> Phylogenetic p-value: 0.000999001

  m12<-phy.anova(tree1,wt,biozone,data.names=X,nsim=1000)

  http://www.iee.uu.se/zooekol/default.php?type=personalpage&lang=en&id=146