Hello all,
I have been using ace() to reconstruct ancestral states for a number
of continuous morphological traits. I need confidence intervals for my
analysis. However, for some sets of traits, I get the following error:

Warning message:
In sqrt(diag(solve(out$hessian))) : NaNs produced

The only tangible result of this error is that the second sigma2
estimates is reported as NaN. However, if I get this error, I find
several things very suspect when I explore my data: confidence
intervals tend to be very large and ancestral states are reconstructed
which are outside the range of variation shown by my tips (values
below zero for a length trait, for example).

I have been unable to repeat this error with random trees or a random
trait dataset. I don't get this error when I use getAncCharacters() or
when I use ace(,method="pic"). Both of these also estimate character
states within the original range of variation. The "pic" method gives
confidence intervals, but they are very different from the ones given
by ML estimation. They tend to be either overly large for some traits
(many times larger than the range of variation for my entire clade) or
unreasonably small for other sets of traits. I'm not familiar enough
with the math behind CI estimates for ML and least squares to
understand why these should be so different for the same trait data
and tree.

I don't think this matters, but none of the tips are coeval because
they are various extinct lineages. The tree also has a large number of
short branches (however, all branches have been modified so that no
branch is less than 1 MY in length; total length of the tree is about
40 MY).

Looking at the mail archives, it appears my office mate, Annat Haber,
has reported the same error message. She isn't in today, however, or I
would turn around in my office chair and ask her how she dealt with
it.
-Dave Bapst, UChicago