Hi all

I receive the mailing list of phylogeny and morphometric geometry and I post
the same message to both lists.

This is about doing phylogeny with morphometric geometry, a subject that
could bring an anathema on me  because 1) quantitative data are generally
considered to be unsuitable for doing phylogeny, especially with a cladistic
method, 2) among quantitative data, morphometric ones are considred to be
one of the worst.

Although I understand and agree for the second reason, I never really
understood why cladistic could not be performed with quantitative data. I
understand that there are technical reasons but I think there are other
historical reasons such as the long war between phenetic and cladistic, that
still bring a doubt on studies doing phylogeny with quantitative data.

Let's come to the point, I recently discovered 2 articles that, to my
opinion, threw a stone in the pond as we say in French:

1.      Phylogenetic morphometrics (I): the use of landmark data in a
phylogenetic framework. Santiago A. Catalano, Pablo A. Goloboff, Norberto P.
Giannini, Cladistics,
<http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/cla.2010.26.issue-5/issuetoc>
Volume 26, Issue 5, pages 539–549, October 2010
2.      Phylogenetic morphometrics (II): algorithms for landmark
optimization. Santiago A. Catalano, Pablo A. Goloboff, Norberto P. Giannini,
Cladistics Article first published online: 28 JUN 2010 DOI:
10.1111/j.1096-0031.2010.00318.x

Since several years I try to use my morphometric data in a phylogeny
perspective. I used several methods, including the maximum likelyhood method
with Philips software of Mister Felsentein and the cladistic method of TNT
software of Mister Goloboff, one of the author of the 2 papers.

I just wanted to express my opinion about this matter and I think those 2
papers will bring the pylogeny perspective in a new paradigm.

Thanks for reading my note until this point!

Stéphane Bouée