Hello!

I tried on some simulated trees last night and they weren't working, but
after your message I started a fresh R session and now solve() works fine
for both my ultrametric tree, and my simulated trees. No idea what happened
there, but thanks!

Unfortunately, I still am getting almost all negative eigenvalues for the
decomposition of the distance matrix, which doesn't make sense to me. I was
under the impression that the distance matrix from an ultrametric tree
should be Euclidean. Further, I can confirm that the distance matrix is
supposed to be euclidean by using the is.euclid() function from ade4
[is.euclid(as.dist(D)) returns "TRUE"], which means I have no idea why
eigen(D) is giving me negative eigenvalues...

Any thoughts?

--Jon