Hi Renata.

I agree with Ted - you should be able to fit an ANCOVA model with gls(y~x+ecomorph,...,correlation=corBrownian(phy=tree)), or something like this, where ecomorph is a factor.

Alternatively, you could use the method we devised in Revell & Collar (2009; Evolution) in which we first reconstructed the discrete character on the tree (in your case, this would be ecomorph), and then we fit a model in which different covariance structure between our variables was permitted on different branches of the tree. This method is also implemented in my phytools package (function: evol.vcv).

All the best, Liam

--
Liam J. Revell
University of Massachusetts Boston