Dear Kaspar,

Are your traits the same? Basically, are the seven color patches on the same
individual all one trait, or are they seven traits? Do all species have the
seven color patches? Or are the number of color patches variable? (this could
also be a character).

I think before you attempt a comparative analysis, it is helpful to think about
how you would set up a standard statistical analysis, for example some sort of
ANOVA.

I am not sure I understand your description clearly. It sort of sounds like you
are considering the multiple color patches as repeated measures of color patch
on the same individual, but then you want to include them all as separate
traits in the analysis. You could consider them as repeated measurements of a
single "color patch" trait, in which case you would include the individual and
species as factors in your analysis. Or you could consider each patch a
different trait, and then compare them across species, so that each color patch
is a separate dependent variable (in which case "color patch 1" would be the
same trait across individuals and species, etc.). Or you could take the mean of
all color patches within an individual and use that in an analysis across
individuals and species.

Do you have any clues from development as to their identity? It seems like you
want to consider them all to be replicates of the same measure.  But then why
measure so many? I assume there is variation among color patches within an
individual? Ultimately you will have to decide if 3 color patches is one trait
or if it is three traits. After you decide this, it will be much easier to
design a comparative analysis.

Good luck,
Marguerite