So, just to be clear, because there have been a number of +1s for a
whitespace-highlighting feature: that's not what I'm doing. A bunch of
people want that, so someone should write it, but I'm not going in
that direction. (In fact, one of my emacs configurations does this in
ruby-mode, and I keep meaning to find the setting to turn it off.
Whenever the highlight appears, I compulsively save the buffer just to
strip the whitespace and get rid of the highlight.)

-Jon