I've been bumping into variants of this problem — namely, difficulty using
special source extensions — across the Racket ecosystem. In addition to
this one,

[2] Adding file types to `raco test`
[3] Persuading DrRacket to handle special source-file extensions

Is the underlying problem that I'm fighting the Racket gravitational field?
Should I just dump my file extensions and use 'rkt'?

I haven't done it yet because I've figured that others who have deployed
DSLs with Racket have used special file extensions, and thus there must be
an approved way of handling it. But maybe I'm the one who's doing it wrong.
(I try to do something wrong every day. I usually succeed.)

[2] https://groups.google.com/d/msg/racket-users/9e7Eqg2-PdE/636NjwhMq3cJ

[3] https://github.com/mbutterick/pollen/issues/34