At Tue, 23 Feb 2016 08:49:11 -0800 (PST), copycat wrote:
> If the problem is somehow related to going in and out of the drawing
> layer, is it possible to batch the updates without using dc-path% and
> draw-path%?

Another kind of batching is `draw-lines` instead of `draw-line`, but
that one doesn't cover arcs. I can't think of anything else along those
lines.

While `record-dc%` can also accumulate drawing commands to play them at
once, I think it doesn't work at a low enough level to provide
performance benefits.