I'm thinking of converting some of my writing

from an ad-hoc file format I invented ten or twenty yearas ago because
I needed something that would cooperate with revision control and
prevailing word-processors just wouldn't do that

to Scribble.

and I'd like some performance estimates so that I can judge feasibility
before I start on the long process of learning Scribble and actually doing the
conversion.

One question: how fast is it?  I have an 80-thousand word document, and
converting it to HTML and reviewing is an operation I oerform
frequently as I fix, say, typos.  It's mostly plain text with chapter
headings and a few ad-hoc notations to delimit optional or
coloured text.

The conversion using my ad-hoc tools takes about 15 seconds on my laptop,
and it's longer than I'd like.

I don't know exactly how big the entire Scribble manual at
http://docs.racket-lang.org/scribble/ is (icluding all the subsections
in defferent pages) but knowing how long it takes to format
something like that on a typical laptop would give me an
order-of-magnitude idea.

Or, for that matter, how can I download the source to the manual and
format it at home so I can measure it myself?

 -- hendrik