Hi Lehi,

On 01/12/2017 06:17 PM, Lehi Toskin wrote:
> Now that I think about it, it's probably naive of
> me to simple add those two bytes and expect everything to actually be
> working as expected [...] I'm assuming the Z_BUF_ERROR is being
> reported because it's not as flexible and the structure of the data
> is missing some information like length (or something).

See FAQs 18 and 19 here: http://www.gzip.org/zlib/zlib_faq.html#faq18

and see also RFC 1950, that explains why the bytes you need are 0x789c,
and explains the kind of trailer you should probably also have:
https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1950.txt

I wonder if the Z_BUF_ERROR is related to a missing checksum trailer.

(I remember running into this a couple of years ago. I've forgotten the
details, but the gist of it is that the DEFLATE format is the underlying
compression method, and that it can be placed in either a zlib envelope
(RFC 1950) or a gzip envelope (separately specified, probably not what
you want here).)

Tony