Thanks to Tonyg's links, I figured out that the part I was missing was the
ADLER-32 check of the uncompressed data added to the end of the byte string.

That makes the total byte string composition look like this:
(bytes #x78 #x9c) compressed-data-from-deflate (number->bytes (adler32
uncompressed-text))

`number->bytes`, is a function I made; its definition is
(define (number->bytes num)
  (define hex (number->string num 16))
  ; from file/sha1
  (hex-string->bytes (if (even? (string-length hex)) hex (string-append "0"
hex))))

P.S. I didn't see an implementation of ADLER32 anywhere, so I had to write my
own, which took a little longer than expected, but oh well.