On 3/21/2017 8:36 PM, Marc Kaufmann wrote:
Thanks. But I have to turn it into a string before storing it in the database; when I tried to store a serialized list in it (in a VARCHAR field), it complained that it expected a string. That's where all the trouble came from. The trouble I had was parsing the string back into the serialized form, which 'with-input-from-string does (because, I presume, it treats the contents of the string as the input, rather than the string itself).

Of course, if there is a way to store serialized data directly in the database, that would be great - but -- except for arrays in a Postgre database -- that doesn't seem to be the case.

Serialize produce a list. You might try storing it as JSON. Postgresql can parse and search JSON values.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/datatype-json.html
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/functions-json.html

George