I am replying publicly to praise you and especially praise you for trying this
out on our list.

> On Apr 8, 2017, at 10:54 AM, Leandro Facchinetti <lfacc...@jhu.edu> wrote:
>

> Where am I heading with this series? I want to explain my research
> (https://pl.cs.jhu.edu/projects/demand-driven-program-analysis/) in
> terms that working programmers can understand, bridging the gap between
> industry and academia. To explain my research from scratch, I first have
> to invent the universe. “Programming-Language Theory Explained for the
> Working Programmer” is me inventing the universe.

This is awesome. I understood years ago that we did’t reach people and have
re-visited this idea time and again. It is only over the last few years that I
was able to say it your way namely “how do I share this with the developer ‘on
the street’.” (I came to the conclusion that, to my chagrin, I need to leave
this task to ‘gurus’ who can fill the gap between research labs and developers.
Sadly they will water it down, get it wrong, and still receive all the credit
:)

I recently ran this test in my PhD seminar (HoPL) on what I consider the most
insight that PL theory can make to sw dev. The 18 responses were devastating.
If I didn’t have a robust nature, I would have ended up in a clinic :-)

So a shout-out to you for trying already as a PhD student.

> (Also, it’s an opportunity for me to practice technical writing. English
> isn’t my first language and I received consistent feedback that I need
> to improve this skill.)

I want to praise you for this one because you are setting an example for all
PhD students. It must be the goal of a PhD student to practice English writing
on a daily basis, at all levels: emails, texts. while giving feedback as
grader, git-commit messages, blogs, papers, dissertations, books. We will never
be perfect but only permanent practice makes us better.

Keep going and keep posting here — Matthias