I don't know if this is what the student is experiencing, but sometimes
windows places a window off screen and it persists in keeping it there.

Changing the screen resolution (temporarily) may cause windows to
reposition the application back on screen, using the windows 'window
manager' 'move' function.

Try googling 'windows 10 window off screen'.

HTH
Stephen