On Sun, Aug 26, 2018 at 03:38:32PM +0100, Norman Gray wrote:

> Richard, hello.
>
> On 26 Aug 2018, at 13:01, Richard Parsons wrote:
>
> > SGML is sounding more and more like something I
> > should know about given my project. A quick google has turned up the
> > hashtag #makesgmlgreatagain ?! If anyone has any suggestions where to
> > start
> > my research, then that would be welcome

> I'll reply on-list to stress that it really wasn't my intention to suggest
> you develop an active interest in SGML, an interest in which can, I think,
> now be regarded as even more retro than Facebook.  SGML was^Wis a wonderful
> thing (it and its associated technologies was the first genuinely
> interesting computing domain I was aware of), but I suspect that ship has
> now sailed, unless you're in one of the industries that has invested decades
> of effort in SGML-based systems.
>
> SGML addressed a lot of problems -- structured markup, archival formats,
> overlaying semantics by aspect
> /annotation -- but these having been rediscovered as problems, now have more
> fashionable solutions.

HTML, XML, and XHTML are all descendants of SGML.

They are what SGML has become today.

SGML had a hierarchy of tags -- which ones would automatically close off
others, so that it wasn't necessary to slavishly balance all the
tag-bracketting.  But the exact hierarchy would depend on the publisher's
style definition for the document type.

HTML still has such conventions, but now they seem to be considered error
corrections instead of an intended feature.

-- hendrik