I’m currently supporting about 100 users in a PL class using the handin server
and writing their programs in Typed Racket. This load is really wrecking my
VPS. I upgraded to a larger VPS, and I’m still getting many users timing out.
The problem is that although this is an 8-core machine, racket is just running
the handin server on just one of them.

Has anyone looked into using places to allow handin to be distributed? I
suppose the alternative would be to run four or eight standalone server
processes and use proxying at the HTTP level to connect to the servers. I don’t
really know which would be better/less work.

Also, because I just thought of it: would it make any sense to shift the burden
to the user’s computer by designing the handin server to accept a compiled .zo
file? Or is it more difficult to sandbox a compiled .zo file than source text?

Any opinions appreciated

Many thanks,

John