Thanks for the pointer; I should have searched the group history before
asking. And, perhaps, the ticket queue.

For what I'm exploring right now, that would be just fine, and makes
perfect sense, and will let me proceed with explorations without (yet)
making pull requests.

However, I personally feel like the enhancement that Ben pointed to is a
good one. Being able to say

'outer-upper-right
'outer-upper-left

(for example, and so on) as additional legend positions (so as to not
change the current language around legend placement) would be nice. While I
might, sometimes, want the legend inside the range of my axes, I personally
can imagine often wanting it outside of the "plot area."

Cheers,