(CC-ing Paulo Matos.)

I expect RISC-V to be a top architecture platform for systems researchers doing open science, including some language/compilers researchers.  And for CS students in systems classes.

RISC-V is also looking to be important for a more open hardware platform for some industry, and for nations and user bases who care about that.

This is a good, accessible overview of RISC-V, by Krste Asanovic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTYiH1Y5UV0

I'd love to see Racket started towards RISC-V, by being tested working well on the current RISC-V boards (and on a good open source emulator).

BTW, a second-priority, open-ish target architecture that might be also be on the horizon for Racket is Power9.  Were Racket to also go there, I think it would make sense for IBM / Red Hat to fund that, somehow.  (If someone wanted to do this unfunded, you could use an emulator, and ask raptorcs.com to kindly let you have remote access to a Talos II.  But IBM doesn't need charity. :)  Power9 would not be done to the exclusion of RISC-V, but be complementary.

(I also still use amd64/x86, arm, and (openwrt) mips, of course.  No slights to those.)