These are pretty new, and the prices are higher than other ISAs with economies-of-scale and mostly long-amortized development costs (and there's perhaps no loss-leaders or dumping for market share or lock-in, like we sometimes see in industry).

The HiFive1 is more like a $60 Arduino or maybe RasPi:
https://www.sifive.com/boards/hifive1

The HiFive Unleashed, when combined with their Expansion Board, could be used to make a workstation, but is pretty new, and costs thousands of dollars:
https://www.sifive.com/boards/hifive-unleashed

I've seen "RISC-V" USB dongle-like boards, but the ones I've seen are just little FPGA experimenter boards burnt with RISC-V logic.

That's what I found, last time I looked.  Paulo or others might know other boards.

There's also always emulators, and RISC-V logic you program yourself on bigger general-purpose FPGA boards.  (Programming FPGA yourself means you're one small enhancement away from being able to call yourself a CPU designer.  :)  If you do FPGA, it would help to try to use an open toolchain, but I think the options for that are still relatively early and improving.  (Last I looked, the open toolchains would let you use only a few small FPGAs, but I saw something the other day that suggests the environment is improving, so look for the latest info/news, whenever you start.)