I guess one way to look at it is that place-channels have guarantees
that are like [1] when putting and guarantees that are like regular
channels when getting. Or, put another way, you can't sync on sending
with place-channels, only on receiving. So it is a similar idea, yes.
I'm not sure exactly which constraints went into this particular
design point, but I think that syncronous receive and async send is a
natural point in the design space in some vague general sense.

Robby