At Thu, 1 Aug 2019 06:06:29 -0700 (PDT), Alex Harsanyi wrote:
> When I runActivityLog2 there is some code which prints out a number to the
> console when the application starts up -- this does not happen if I build
> the application with Racket 7.3, so it is not a spurious printf in my
> code.  It is just a number: if I run it using racket.exe, it is always
> 98908, if I build an executable, the value printed out is always 98914, and
> a new console window is opened, which is very annoying for a GUI
> application. I tried creating a simple GUI application, with just a frame,
> but nothing was printed out when I ran that one, so I am not sure how to
> investigate it further.

I see that calling `(collect-garbage 'major)` returns a number when it
should return `(void)`.

Repair pushed, but I don't that we'll get this repair into the release.
For v7.4, Racket CS will be advertised as "beta". It's close enough to
be worth trying (to expose bugs like this one), but there are likely to
be too many problems to switch to it for production use for most Racket
projects.

> Also, in one of the test runs, I got a warning printed out on the console:
>
>     (racket.exe:6532): Pango-WARNING **: 20:39:36.824: couldn't load font
> "Helvetica Bold Not-Rotated 14px", falling back to "Sans Bold Not-Rotated
> 14px", expect ugly output.
>
> I only got this warning once and could not reproduce it anymore.  As with
> the number, I never saw this warning (or any unexpected text) printed out
> on the console with previous Racket versions.

The problem here is that Pango warnings (or warnings from glib-based
libraries i ngeneral) are not being redirected to logging. I forgot to
fill in that piece for Racket CS, and I'll put it back on my list.

> Should I create issues for these in the Racket, or some other repository?

Racket issues are fine, although the latter is probably more
specifically a `racket/draw` issue.

Thanks for your consistent help!
Matthew