That's actually really cool that you had both available to taste. My analogy
doesn't totally fit, but the preliminary discussions of Racket2 looked enough
like the preliminary discussions for New Coke to remind me of them--and to make
cracking a joke about it too tempting.

In terms of the OP, I wonder if the community response would have been better
if the name didn't evoke thoughts of a sequel or a redesign. Why is the name
Racket2 so important, anyway? Did I miss an announcement that clarified this?
Why is a core designer's idea of a canon (for lack of a better word) mixed in
with a brand people associate with freedom FROM canon?

Maybe I'm overthinking this. I already know that nothing in #lang racket is
getting thrown out or anything. I just feel like I am getting mixed messages
about why this is all happening.

-slg