On 12/13/19 12:26 AM, Nathaniel Griswold wrote:
Could I just write llvm directly? (This is my first time using llvm)

Sure. You should probably play around and write some llvm assembly procedures by hand.

I think the main issue with llvm is, or used to be, that you can "call with arguments" (that is a normal C procedure call), but you can only jump within a single procedure, so it isn't convenient to modularize state machines like we can with tail calls in Racket.

Some compilers create special llvm calling conventions to deal with this, but it would be nice if there was a standard "jmp with arguments" instruction (which cleaned up the stack) that you could use to escape into a stackless mode of operation.

--
Anthony Carrico