First of all, Thank you to the team for making such a fantastic system
available for the rest of us. I don't know what I'd have done without it.
As a very long time Schemer/Racketeer/Lisper and a consistent industry
practitioner (I have used Chez Scheme and Racket as critical parts of every
one of my companies in the past 20 years).

It is somewhat unclear to me from reading this proposal what the expected
outcomes of this project are, or ought to be (in terms of making a real
change in the language ecosystem). But, if one of the outcomes is to gain
widespread adoption, my first thoughts upon reading this proposal are as
follows.

1. The obsession with parentheses/syntax is misplaced. My analysis of the
psychology of parentheses that it is a redirection of frustration with
functional-style programming. Let's acknowledge the fact that functional
programming is a difficult paradigm for the average CS graduate and they
generally skew imperative (it's probably rooted in human psychology, since
that is how our systems are organized: around change of state). In any
case, the frustration in dealing with it is directed towards syntax in the
case of Racket. Other functional languages with conventional syntax suffer
the same outcome: lack of widespread adoption because of perceived
"annoyances". While I would welcome the ability to more easily add new
(possibly infix) notation into my own syntactic extensions, spending too
much time designing a new "better" syntax for racket is not going to reduce
the adoption barrier. So, I would rather own it than defend it.

2. Adoption will be widespread once the language and its accompanying
platform can stake out a claim for itself in terms of what can be built
with it.

I can't speak to the other aspects of internal design that this post talks
about but here is what I believe we need in the industry to convince my new
crop of engineers to start adopting Racket at a larger scale. In some ways,
I'm looking at it as a "sell" job, and here are the things I know I can
sell. This is not so much about language design as much as it is about the
Platform itself, although I'm sure Racketeers can do a far better job of
bringing in elements of language design into this. Of course, the community
needs to work towards doing this along with the Racket team, but as a
community, we should set an agenda and work towards it. The Rhombus
discussion provides an opportunity for this. So here are my two cents.

A) Performance. As a point of comparison, the JVM has gotten amazingly good
over the past couple of decades, but Java continues to be derided as a
terrible language with much lower productivity. Given how productive one
can be in Racket, combining that with comparable performance will make it
an easy sell. This has largely been Go's and Rust's strategy. C++ level
performance with high productivity. For this day and age, this would have
to include GPU support (kind of like openCL).
B) Web First. The current the built-in web framework is not enough. The
language must support end-to-end development of asynchronous
web-applications, and it must be trivial to tack on web front-ends to
anything. This is the Node/JS and Ruby/Rails strategy. Racket has some
elements of this, but building a web-app in racket is still a lot of work.
With web-assembly on the horizon, Racket can very easily be a front-end
language as well as a back-end language.
C) Mobile First (ok, Second :-). The language must provide inherent support
for building mobile front-ends (both android and IoS). This is the
Swift/XCode strategy.
D) AI Support. AI is clearly the next wave of software and people are going
to be building AI into their systems for decades to come. In this instance,
Lisp's AI legacy might actually be of help, if we can make it very easy to
develop AI applications. While Python seems to be the preferred language
right now, I don't believe it will last too long. AI programming in Python
is at best a puke-worthy experience.
E) Cloud Ready out of the box - Simple deployment using docker, AWS Lambda
and the like; built-in support for directly working with cloud resources
(buckets, ACL's, Logs, etc.)
F) Broad IDE support. Rather than focus on Emacs/Dr. Racket, I believe
Racket should take the approach of integrating with all the different
IDE's. (JetBrains' IDEA, NetBeans, Visual Studio, Eclipse)  Most are now
good enough to be scripted and in many cases the click-happy younger
generation deals with it better, and probably much less work than trying to
maintain Dr.Racket.
G) Other desirables, but less important than the ones above:
  - FFI for Java libraries. (One of the biggest reasons for Clojure's
appeal)
  - CLOS. It is still the finest object system ever that most effortlessly
blends functional-style with objects. Scala's success can be attributed to
its functional+object+Java interoperability strategy, type-system not
withstanding.

Anurag.