On Thursday, April 30, 2020 at 2:57:45 PM UTC+2, Jay McCarthy wrote:

> This is simply a social standard though. There is nothing that
> technically prevents you from breaking compatibility, except that your
> users may be upset. You can post things on the package server that
> follows any rules you want, including conflicting with any other
> packages.

I'd like to second this point. There's nothing stopping you from pushing
whatever you want to your repo, and hence distributing whatever you want
via the package server. I've pushed breaking changes to my packages before,
and no one has complained, so I guess I didn't break any part of the
interface that they were using. (Or I have no users of my stuff at all,
which is certainly possible!)

I don't know how many packages mention, in their description, that they're
experimental, explicitly warning me that the interface is unstable and
likely to change. I use 'em anyway because they offer useful functionality.
I don't recall being nailed by breaking changes, but perhaps I'm just
getting lucky.

What exactly is the claim, anyway, about the package server not allowing
breaking changes? Is it that if you do a breaking change to your package,
then it's possible that other people's packages correspondingly break? If
so, then I think that's not a very interesting claim. Does the claim at
issue just amount to a restatement of the ethos that Jay mentioned about
trying to ensure backwards compatibility for a long time?

(All this said, I'd like to learn more about setting up custom package
catalogs, as Alex mentioned, to take matters even more into your own hands.)