Stepping through the code with the drracket debugger and inspecting the
values on the way may also be a good way to identify areas where your code
doesn't work like you had expected.
Maybe write some more testcases / example applications of your function and
see which inputs already work and which ones do not, thus narrowing down /
getting an idea where the problem is within the code.

You already mentioned recursion, recursion can be used to solve problems
that are self similar like how the *SierpiƄski* *triangle *contains 3
simpler versions of itself.
Instead of thinking how you can create all permutations and then somehow
create code for that. How could you create one permutation and then do that
multiple times.
Maybe go through the problem yourself manually with 3 different items in
physical space, pen and paper, think about what you are doing and what
steps you do repeatedly.

If you have more specific questions ask them, I am sure a lot of people on
this list will be interested in helping you, if you get specific.
This seems like homework with the purpose of deepening your understanding,
so I can't really do much without ruining your learning experience.
I also don't want to confuse or distract you with too many different
perspectives of looking at the problem, you have to find a way of looking
at it that works for you.

That said I am self taught and have not a lot of teaching experience, so
maybe others have better help or advice for you.

Simon