On 12/8/2021 12:34 PM, James Platt wrote:
On Dec 8, 2021, at 10:45 AM, George Neuner wrote:

> It's a big deal if you are (or were) following multiple groups.

I don't understand.  Why is this an issue?  I find it very convenient to filter
each group into it's own folder in email.  If this were a non-technical group,
you wouldn't expect everyone to know how to do that but anyone who is a
programmer ought to have no problem configuring filters and folders.

If you had continued reading, you would have seen my comment that NOT ALL news groups support list distribution or posting via email. NNTP is not email.  Usenet group moderators[*] can choose how to make their groups available: the default is via list distribution and NNTP both, but the moderator can deliberately disable one or the other - or only enable digests via email, or disable posting.

My complaint is having to read some things via NNTP and others through email because, while there are programs that do both, I haven't found any single program that does BOTH WELL.  And that is without even considering the growing number of ... don't want to confuse by saying "groups", let's call them "crowds" ... that have abandoned Usenet entirely in favor of web forums.

George

[*] even unmoderated groups have a moderator/administrator - by default it is whoever started the group.