Well, I get '502 bad gateway error when accessing from http' generally
when I removed and then add a rails application to the gridserver.  So
try and do a '$ mtr generate_htaccess <your rails app>'.

Also I was recently getting the 'application started, but pid file was
not found, ...' error.  First I decided to reinstall the whole
app...stupid choice. All I had to do was check the log/mongrel.log to
see that I forgot to install the needed plugins for the rails app.  So
take a gander at your mongrel log, the answer might be in there.