This is SUPER annoying to me, as well. It has cost me too much time over the last year of my life.

If you look at the TextMate bundle, you'll see that it looks in the current working directory for 'vendor/plugins/rspec'. If there, it will use that rspec to run your code. If not, it will use the gem. Of course, then the gem will not match rspec_on_rails, unless of course it does. The only way to fix this is to get a 'vendor/plugins/rspec' in your project directory, and then go to the command line and 'mate that/directory'.

  adam