Beau,

You'll want to make your site visitors use a different table and model than 'users' as that belongs to the Radiant Admin interface. With restful_authentication, 'sessions' are a virtual resource and won't conflict with the sessions table in the database.

For the caching issue, you may need to disable it on any pages that require authentication or that display information about the user. Your other option might be to do some IFRAME or JavaScript hack to pull in that portion of the page from a different source.

If you go with site-wide disabling of the cache, performance will be dependent on how complicated the Radius code in your page is... i.e. how many other pages it accesses, how many snippets it renders, any external service it interacts with, etc. Search the archives (both the general and the developer) for a discussion about performance -- there are statistics about how Radiant performs in uncached scenarios.

Sean

Beau O'Hara wrote:
Hi,
I've been searching through the archives to see if this had been done, but I haven't found much. Radiant is a good fit for a project am working on, and the extension system looks for my content needs that are non-standard.

2 questions:
My first question is regarding front end authentication. There is some content that I need to display based on logged_in? and group. Has anyone done something like this before. On standard rails apps I have been using restful_authentication but I am getting errors when installing the plugin. I have tried using it without migrations - as a user and sessions table already exist.

Second this functionality will obviously require a non-cached mode. I read about a config option to run in this mode, I am wondering how well this is working in production.

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.