Tom Cloyd wrote:
I'm in the process of getting a test CMS launched, with Radiant.

Welcome aboard!

* 1. I have very little knowledge of Rails. I don't expect to have time to fix that substantially any time soon. Will this preclude my using Radiant to contain a site I already have up which had about 75 pages? (I don't think so, but...)

No. Radiant can be used by you. The place where you will need to know a bit of Ruby and Rails is if you need to create an extension for doing something that is not covered by the current set of extensions. Using Radiant without knowing Rails/ Ruby is like using Firefox without knowing how to program an extension for it - for 99% of your usage, available extensions and the base system will suffice. For the remaining 1%, you may need to take a bit of a longer way since it's not directly available as an extension (yet).

For now, I'm only going to be running radiant (hopefully) on my desktop. If I decide to move to my hosting server, I realize I'll need to know more.

Great way to start, I feel :)

* 4. "create a project", then "gem unpack radiant" ???

Following along with the instructions at http://wiki.radiantcms.org/Installation, it appears that first I create a project, then I unpack radiant. I don't get it. What does it mean to unpack radiant? Why do I do it AFTER creating a project? What does it accomplish?

If you know Ruby somewhat, you might know that a lot of functionality is distributed as a pre-packaged gem. Now, in the case of Radiant, Radiant itself is installed as a gem (typically) - a gem is a 'packed' set of Ruby code. If you wanted that code to be stowed away into your project directory, you could 'unpack' it. In most cases, you will not need to do this, especially given your intended use.

The talk about this, at this web page, is just dropped into the discussion of creating a project, and I can see NO relationship at all. What am I missing, I wonder...?

That page is targeted for Rails programmers and you should see it in the context of the previous sentence:
A Radiant project is basically a stripped back Rails project, with only the files necessary to configure and run the application. To unpack the project from the gem, you can run:

Thanks for any help. I hope my beginner questions are acceptable here.

Yes, of course!

We're also working on a documentation project called 'Summer Reboot' - hopefully, this will grow to be useful:
http://wiki.radiantcms.org/Summer_Reboot

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Mohit.